AMS Flevo Campus summer school
10-21 July 2017, Flevo Campus Almere
In July, AMS Institute organizes a summer school program named ‘The Feeding City’. This summer school will focus on the theme ‘food in the city’ and is part of our program at the Flevo Campus: a living lab in Almere where research, education and business come together to collaborate on the same theme.
The city of Almere lies within the metropole region of Amsterdam. In this region you find Oosterwold, an area of 4.500 hectares of land used for argiculture. Here, 15.000 plots of land were sold and the buying households are invited to develop their own living environment by designing their own houses, developing green & blue infrastructure and shaping working spaces.
What to expect?
During these 2 weeks AMS Flevo Campus summer school offers an intensive and diverse program, during which group work between students – with different backgrounds and expertise – is crucial.
The summer school includes
- Observations in the field, interviews with experts from various organizations
- Guest lectures and workshops about ‘food in green vital urban areas’ and ‘urban agriculture’
- Case study design: circular living & working environment in Oosterwold
- Visits to companies in the agri-food sector
- Final presentation on location for all stakeholders involved
The summer school is something for you if are:
- Interested in learning more about food in the city as a driving force for the circular economy, innovative initiatives in food production and processing, logistic food systems and urban green planning,
- a MSc or last year BSc student in a related field,
- keen on being part of The Feeding City,
- and an enthusiastic student willing to engage in hands-on (field)research
Registration & costs
Costs: € 750,- (includes accommodation, field excursions, lectures, materials)
Deadline for registration: May 1st 2017.
Send your application to: email@example.com
Application for the AMS Summer School “The Feeding City” includes the following information
- Full name
- Email address
- Mobile number
- Study programme
- *Student registration number
And a motivation letter (100 words) & CV.
Admission will be based on evaluation of CV and motivation letter. Application is possible till 1st of May 2017, shortly after this date you will hear if you are granted to participate.
(*) Only for Wageningen University & Research, Delft University of Technology and Aeres University of Applied Sciences
Contact Astrid Hendriksen firstname.lastname@example.org
This summer school is organized by Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions in cooperation with the municipality of Almere.
The Feeding City
The Feeding City is a multiannual research program in which we are collaborating with different partners among which the City of Almere, the province of Flevoland and Aeres Group. The program is embedded in the Flevo Campus in Almere – which will function as a ‘living lab’ – and houses research, education and enterprises relating to the theme ‘food and the city’. Food is an emerging global theme. The fact that food in the city touches upon all aspects of society makes it a challenging and dynamic theme. It is intertwined with various urban issues and can potentially: contribute to citizens’ health, stimulate social cohesion, strive to produce less waste, close cycles of raw materials, make transport flows more efficient, or seek to boost employment.
Head photo ©MVRDV