Do you have a in PhD degree in biotechnology, chemistry, urbanism, industrial ecology, circular economy, industrial design or similar? And do you have a strong affinity with translating scientific knowledge in real-life applications? We're looking for a:
Research Fellow Circularity
- Level: Doctorate;
- Working hours: 24-32 hours per week;
- Contract: 18 months (full-time basis);
- Gross salary: between €2.790,- and €4.402,- euros monthly (full-time basis);
- The salary will commensurate with knowledge and experience;
- Job location: Employment is formally at TU Delft, but job location will be mainly Amsterdam (AMS Institute).
AMS Institute is a public-private institute founded in 2014 by Wageningen University & Research and Delft University of Technology, together with Massachusetts Institute of Technology. We are an internationally leading institute where talent is educated and engineers, designers and both natural and social scientists jointly develop and valorize integrated metropolitan solutions.
Our mission is to develop a deep understanding of the city -sense the city- to design solutions for its challenges and integrate these into the city of Amsterdam. AMS Institute is located at Marineterrein Amsterdam, an area in the heart of the city.
The Department of Biotechnology within Delft University of Technology's Faculty of Applied Science has two research projects in collaboration with Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions (AMS Institute).
Both projects focus on producing high-value materials from urban organic waste streams. The COMPRO projects produces Re-plex, a composite material entirely from wastewater, the FABULOUS project produces PHA from organic waste.
Finding the best urban application of both materials is a key deliverable in both projects. As many social, legal and market aspects of product development from organic waste streams are the same in both processes, we are looking for one researcher to work on both projects. Time distribution over projects will be approx. 1/3 on FABULOUS, 2/3 on COMPRO.
You will be working on:
- identification of social, legal, technical and market design criteria for products made from PHA and Re-plex;
- identifying urban applications for products made from PHA and Re-plex;
- in the case of PHA: assessing influence of (higher-value) PHA production on organic waste collection in Amsterdam;
- Students of the Master program Metropolitan Analysis, Design and Engineering (MSc MADE) are closely connected to the topics and activities of AMS Institute. In their curriculum you will guide them when working on projects related to these topics;
- developing future research directions related to these topics;
- The researcher will work in close collaboration with a post-doc at AMS Institute - Peter Mooij - who is managing COMPRO and FABULOUS;
- Work will, if COVID-19 situation allows, take place at AMS Institute.
The ideal candidate:
- is a researcher who combines academic knowledge with social engagement;
- has a completed PhD degree on biotechnology, chemistry, urbanism, industrial ecology, circular economy, industrial design or similar;
- has strong affinity with translating scientific knowledge in real-life applications;
- knows how to involve scientists, policymakers and business partners to successfully work on project goals;
- has the ability to work fully independently, but knows how to connect activities to broader institute goals & ambitions;
- enjoys teaching and supervising students;
- has a strong affinity with the mission and methods of AMS Institute;
- is enthusiastic about the possibilities a young and growing institute as AMS Institute offers;
- speaks and writes English fluently;
- has excellent communication and reporting skills.
What we offer
- You will be working from a highly innovative working environment with a team of adaptive and creative professionals that are working to bridge the gap between science and society;
- A job with possibilities and responsibilities;
- You will be located in the heart of the city of Amsterdam at the Marineterrein Amsterdam Innovation district;
- Your renumeration is based on the VSNU CAO (for 40 hours) with a maximum of €4.402,- per month on full-time basis and an annual supplementary pay (13th month).
Information and application
Would you like to apply for this position? Please hand in your motivation letter and CV via this link. For information about this position, you can contact Peter Mooij (email@example.com).
You can apply for this position until December 1st 2020. Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.
In the royal spotlight
Circularity in Urban Regions
At the invitation of His Majesty the King, Her Excellency Madam Halimah Yacob President of the Republic of Singapore, visited the Netherlands for a state visit on 21-22 November 2018. AMS Institute and Waternet were invited to share their innovations.