Transitioning to a sustainable, just, and stable society is necessary, on an unprecedented scale and speed. In many innovation projects, scientific programs and municipal organizations, (urban) living labs are achieving good results. But are these Labs well understood and well implemented? Are they solving the problems better, cheaper, more sustainable? What are actionable prescriptions?
In this first edition of the Urban Living Lab Summits we take a deep dive into one specific methodology: the AMS Urban Living Lab ‘Way of Working’. We offer an interactive program where presenters show their knowledge while interacting with the audience. The co-creative workshops in the afternoon also shows the development of the Living Lab Marineterrein.
The questions addressed in the Summit were:
- What is a Urban Living Lab?
- How to design a Urban Living Lab?
- How to measure impact of Living Labs?
- How to collaborate within Living Labs?
- How to learn in a Living Lab?
In co-creation we want to increase knowledge and common understanding, refine the challenges and define the outlines of an action agenda.
- Prof. Arjan van Timmeren (Scientific Director AMS Institute)
- Leendert Verhoef (AMS Institute)
9:45 What is a Living Lab?
- Prof. Ellen van Bueren (TU Delft/AMS Institute): Overview of Urban Experimentation
- Michael Bossert (International Sustainable Campus Network): The University Living Labs Canvas
10:45 How to learn in a Living Lab?
- Arjen Zegwaard / Nina Bohm (MSc MADE), Learning in Living Labs
- Melchior Kanyamesha (CTO Amsterdam), The Living Roadmap
- Paul Manwaring (CITIXL), Living labs for exchanging innovations and testing in Amsterdam, Taipei, Daegu and Boston
11:45 How to design a Living lab?
- Dr. Niko Alexander Schäpke (Chalmers University): Reflection: Success factors and related design features of real-world labs from a Baden-Wuerttemberg perspective
- Andrea Ueberbacher (AMS Institute) / Marcin Dabrowski (TU Delft) / Prof. Roberto Rocco (TU Delft): Urban Living Labs and Metropolitan Policy Labs for Spatial Justice
- Els Leclerc, Living Labs and the New Democracy
13:45 How to collaborate in a Living Lab?
- Workshop I: Marineterrein as Living Lab (tour and co-creation)
In this workshop we will learn how to use the city as a living lab. After a tour on the Marineterrein, we will work on an experiment within the framework of Marineterrein Amsterdam Living Lab. Facilitators: Anikka Fulop (Bureau Marineterrein and Tom van Arman (CITiXL)
- Workshop II: The (Urban) Living Lab Canvas: Build your own Lab
In this workshop we will learn to use the Urban Living Lab Canvas to design our own Living Labs. The Canvas is a strong tool to guide the process of vision, involvement and replication. Facilitators: Michael Bossert (Hochschule fur Technik Stuttgart) and Leendert Verhoef (AMS Institute)
15:45 How to create impact with living Labs?
- Plenary discussion / action agenda setting
The event has already took place.
Please find a wrap-up and speakers slides through this link.
Would you like to register for the waiting list? please send an email to Leendert Verhoef.