Due to COVID-19 everyone is facing a lot of uncertainties. But now, even more so than before, we want to support young ambitious entrepreneurs to help you launch your business ideas. To be able to do that while also safeguarding the well-being of our participants we have changed our activities to seamlessly fit a digital approach. This means that every step of the process is now fully digital, from application, bootcamp, to the National and Grand Global Final.
This switch to a digital format has also given us the possibility to extend the deadline untill May 17.
In this post we will keep you informed with the most up-to-date information in these uncertain times. Please check our website regularly to inform yourself about possible changes in timeline or process, as a result of changed policies and/or regulations.
Who can apply for ClimateLaunchpad?
ClimateLaunchpad is aimed at young and eager entrepreneurs who want to tackle climate change and make our cities more sustainable. The program is aimed to fast-track promising innovative ideas to the next level, by providing knowledge, connections and experience you need to go for that next step. The ultimate test: you will be competing against other teams.
The challenge is open for innovative ideas in renewable energy, energy efficiency, food and agriculture, water management, mobility, industrial technology or in any other field, as long as your idea addresses the issue of climate change or facilitates a more sustainable urban environment.
Additional prize for urban solutions by AMS Institute
In addition, this year AMS Institute will initiate an urban track with a dedicated prize for the startup that is most innovative and creative in tackling the issues in the urban environment.
Overall, we have to admit to having a soft spot for student teams, but anyone can apply.
So, do you have a business idea on how to make our cities more sustainable? Apply now!
The impact of ClimateLaunchpad on your startup?
Did you know that the successful Felyx scooter sharing service was a national winner of the ClimateLaunchpad a couple of years ago. Or that one of our teams of last year was selected to enter the Techstars incubation program? You can read the recap of last year’s National Final here or get an impression from the 2019 aftermovie:
“For us, the ClimateLaunchpad competition was like a crash course into entrepreneurship. It will help turn all those crazy impossible thoughts flying through your head into a convincing and carefully considered business plan.”
Team Refillabowl | 2nd place national finals 2019
“The AMS ClimateLaunchpad really helped to get us to the stage we wanted: pitching in front of an expert jury and a wide audience of interested stakeholders. Furthermore, thanks to the AMS CLP, we got in touch with the ‘Arcadis City of 2030 Accelerator, Powered by Techstars’, one of the world’s leading accelerator programs, which we are now participating in!”
Team geoFluxus | National finalist 2019
The application process is open as of now. Please apply here to share your innovative ideas with us. You can apply to join the program until Sunday May 17, 23:59h.
Due to the outbreak of the Corona virus and our switch to a digital format we included two extra steps in the process:
- We will host an extra 1-day online course for the (selected) applicants, in which the basics of starting a business will be explained. With this extra knowledge on entrepreneurship you will get the opportunity to review your proposal and improve your idea. Eight teams will be selected the end of May to join the bootcamp, based on their application and the alterations they made inspired by the online course. The bootcamp will also be digital, but realtime, with our trainer giving the workshop via Zoom. The bootcamp will be hosted during three or four half days. Next to this you will have access to our national leads and local coaches to discuss and finetune your ideas. After the bootcamp, there will be dedicated sessions with the teams in which they can develop their business ideas and prepare for the National Finals in the beginning of august.
- Secondly, after our national final a regional final will be included at the end of August/beginning of September. The top three (yes you are reading this correctly, there will be three national winners) will be participating in this regional final from which around ten teams will be going to the Grand Global Final. The reason for taking this extra step is that normally around 150+ teams compete in the Grand Global Final. But since the Grand Global Final is now also digital this would be overwhelming. It is expected that there will be around 5-7 regional finals held globally.
Please note the online course and the bootcamp are a mandatory part of the program.
What prizes can you win?
Next to guidance and help in developing your startup idea, you can win interesting prizes. The top three teams of the National Finals of the ClimateLaunchpad will win three entree passes to compete in the Global Grand Final.
Other prizes are a free advisory meeting on the business case and financial basis of a startup from Boris Lambert from the Positive Venture Group and 4-months of free testing at the Marineterrein Amsterdam Living Lab (MALL). MALL is a publicly accessible but privately governed site in the heart of Amsterdam, where organizations can research, experiment and test in a real-life setting, to scale up their innovation. A unique opportunity and experience for your startup.
The prize in the urban track for the startup with the most innovative yet feasible business idea wins a place in AMS Institute’s pre-incubator program for 4 months.
Ultimately, the winner of the Global Grand Final receives € 10,000, the runner up € 5,000 and the idea that comes in third place wins € 2,500. In addition, the top-16 selected teams by the jury to perform in the Grand Finals get direct access to the Climate-KIC Accelerator; a renowed business school where great ideas flow into great businesses.
ClimateLaunchpad 2020: Overall agenda
The timeline and process for now is the following.
- Deadline for Application: May 17
- 1 day Online course: May 20
- Bootcamp: June 2nd, 3rd, 4th (Half days)
- Follow-up Modules: 6 times starting from June until the 1st half of July
- National Final: Beginning of August
- Regional Final: End of August/beginning September
- Global Grand Final: 3rd week of September
Please note that dates mentioned above are based on current circumstances. If due to developments dates and/or formats require changes, we will keep you informed about this via this webpage. So keep a close eye on any updates!
ClimateLaunchpad is the world’s largest green business ideas competition. Their mission is to unlock the world’s cleantech potential that addresses climate change. The competition creates a stage for those ideas. ClimateLaunchpad is part of the Entrepreneurship offerings of EIT Climate-KIC. For more information on ClimateLaunchpad, visit the website.
In addition to our collaboration with MALL, we work closely with: